It’s easy to find out the composition of yourand the amount of organic matter in it. You will need:
- a 4 cup mason jar (1 Litre) with a lid
- just a bit less than 3 cups (750 ml) of
- a squirt of dishwasher gel or powder or TSP (Trisodiumphosphate) which you can find at a hardware or paint store.
- about 1/4 cup (125 ml) of dirt from the top 8" (20 cm) of the garden.
- Fill the jar with theand enough Gel or TSP until the jar is 3/4 full.
- Add enoughto the soap mixture to just about fill the jar.
- Screw the lid on tightly and shake the jar well.
- Put the jar somewhere it won’t get bumped and let it stand overnight. This will allow the layers to separate and settle.
- The next day you should be able to see the different layers. The heaviest elements will be at the bottom of the jar, the lightest at the top.
- Use the chart to determine what type ofyour garden most closely resembles.
- Once you have tested thefrom your garden you can learn the best way to condition and improve it.